Thursday, March 24, 2016

Simply Sampled: my 2 cents

I have never really considered myself a quilter, although I have dabbled a bit in it, I thought taking a class would be a fun way to acquaint myself with the terminology and hone some self taught skills. Authorized Sew & Vac was offering a class based on Simply Sampled by Jeni Baker. I am 2/3rds of the way in and really enjoying the class. I absolutely love having others around to bounce ideas off of and to cheer each other as we succeed.

Today I completed "Block #3:  Disappearing Nine" today independently. This is a fun twist on a classic block, for the full instructions you will want to go get the pattern, I wanted to share my 2 cents on how to make a key directional fabric be right side up at the completion of the block.

My focal fabric are these fun type writers from the Windham Fabric collection Type by Julia Rothman. Since this block has a fun twist I flipped the fabric upside down on the top left and bottom right corners of the nine patch block.



Here is where the fun comes in...this block divides into quarters and then.....


Flip! and magically those upside down type writers are right side up!


and done!


I have several more blocks to go but am feeling more like a quilter each session. I may have a crush on it...and of course all the beautiful fabrics are addictive so I may be a goner!



happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment